Bruised Knees

I have bruised knees.

Both knees.

Many bruises.

They kinda hurt. but they make me smile.

Because every time I feel the ouch I remember Tuesday night. 'Dugout Dance' had been closed for the summer, and Tuesday evening was my first session back.

I decided to dance not in my wheels, but from sitting on the floor. That way, when I fall I don't have far to go, so I give all my muscles a good workout and make full use of my flexibility - an asset when dancing, even if it has stolen my ability to walk properly.

It is really hard to explain just how alive it makes me feel to dance 'floor based'. It means that my Postural orthostatic tachycardia Syndrome doesn't complain too much - because I move at my own speed, can switch to lying down whenever I decide to, and there is no need to attempt standing poses or ones with my arms above my head (Both huge triggers for my POTS). The result is bruised knees and 2 hours of exercise at whatever intensity I feel able to do, and where I feel truly beautiful and at one with my body. A moment where there is nowhere else I'd rather be.

So I feel the bruises and remember the beauty.

And and all is right with the world.


Comments